To start collecting social registrations with Facebook, you need to get your Facebook app up and running. Facebook is one of the one services that requires your app to get manually approved by their team. It's not really that tricky. Just follow along with the video or the written instructions and shout out if we can help
Create Your App on Facebook
1. Sign into Facebook at the Developer site.
It'll get you to log into your normal Facebook account, then it will prompt you to create a Facebook for Developers account if you don't already have one.
If you had to make a new account, you may have to press the blue "Log In" button once more (it will be in the same place, but the text will have changed to Get Started).
2. From the My Apps drop-down in the top-right corner, click on "Add a New App."
3. Fill in your first screen of app details and press "Create App ID."
4. When Select a Scenario pops up, click "Integrate Facebook Login."
5. Click Basic Settings on the left sidebar and fill in your details.
Also make sure to upload your App Icon and choose a category for your product. Once you're done, hit Save Changes!
6. Scroll down and click "Add Platform."
Most of you are probably adding Facebook login to a website. So the last step is adding your website URL. Select "Website" and paste in your URL.
If you have a mobile app and you want Facebook login on that too, add iOS or Android as a platform as well.
7. In the left sidebar under Products, click on "Facebook Login" and then "Settings."
First, double-check that the following toggles are set to YES:
- Yes - Client OAuth Login
- Yes - Web OAuth Login
- Yes - Use Strict Mode for Redirect URIs
Second, scroll down the page and fill in the blank fields as follows:
- Valid OAuth redirect URIs: https://theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller
- Deauthorize Callback URL: https://theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller
- Redirect URI to Check: https://theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller (and press Check URI)
If you're on a custom AE Enterprise plan you'll have a custom domain. Make sure to add it in front. E.g.https://sony.theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller
You can ignore the rest of the fields on the page. Press the "Save Changes" button.
10. Click again on Basic Settings, found in the left sidebar.
Under App Secret, click "Show " and then copy it.
Setup Your Facebook App in AE
1. Go back to your AE dashboard.
If you don't already have AE open, go to a new tab and log into your AE account. Click on AE Connect, found in the top right Menu bar.
2. In the Connect Your Social Apps section, select the Facebook icon.
3. Paste your App ID and Secret into the AE window.
Then press the "Activate service" button (don't worry about the scopes!).
4. You can see your Facebook app is live with AE!
Having trouble? Check out this article that covers common app creation error messages.
5. Remember that you'll need to set your app to live and may need to submit it to Facebook for approval.
Back on the Facebook Developer site, click the Status toggle, found in the top right Menu bar.
When you click the toggle, you'll see this message.
Facebook automatically approves permissions for email and public profile. If you want more permissions, you'll have to submit your app to Facebook for approval. For more on that, see our article on Extended Facebook Permissions.
Connect other social networks:
Or choose from the full list.
If you are ready, install AE Connect, our social login solution, into your website.