Creating a Twitter Application
To start collecting social registrations with Twitter you need to get your Twitter app up and running. Here's how:
1. Sign into Twitter at the Twitter Apps site
2. Click on Create New App
3. Fill in your app details
This is pretty straightforward.
The only field you need to fill in for AE is Callback URL.
Add in: https://theappreciationengine.com/TwitterAuthenticator_Controller
4. Successfully registered!
You'll get a message you've been successful and your new app details will appear below.
5. Head over to the Settings tab
Go ahead and fill in those blank fields you'll see when you scroll down. We recommend you do this to provide the best user experience.
6. Getting the right permissions
Click on the Permissions tab.
7. Checking the right permissions
Make sure the "Read only" checkbox is selected. This is really important. If you select "Read and Write", your users will see that horrible message that says "Tweet on your behalf". That will set off all sorts of spam bells for your user!
Also check the box at the bottom marked "Request email addresses from users" (optional, but recommended).
8. Click on the Keys and Access Tokens tab
9. View your Consumer Key and Consumer Secret
10. Go back to your AE dashboard tab
If you're using the walkthrough, skip ahead to step #13. If you don't have AE open already, open a new tab and log into your AE dashboard account.
Click on AE Connect from the AE header.
11. Click on the Edit button
12. Select the Twitter icon
13. Copy your Key and Secret over to the AE window and press the Activate service button
14. You can see your Twitter app is live with AE
15. High five!
You've connected Twitter to AE.