Creating a Facebook Application
To start collecting social registrations with Facebook, you need to get your Facebook app up and running.
Facebook is one of the services that requires your app to get manually approved by their team. It's not really that tricky. Just follow our steps and shout out if we can help.
The three main steps for Facebook are:
- Creating your app on Facebook
- Checking your live site is working with login
- Submitting your Facebook app to them for approval
So let's get cooking with Facebook and get the first part of your app up:
1. Sign into Facebook at the Developer site
Once you've signed into your existing Facebook account, you'll need to create a Facebook for Developers account. Click on the blue Login button once more (now it will say "Get Started" instead) and it will prompt you to create an account.
2. From the drop-down menu in the top right corner, click on "Add a New App"
3. Fill in the details it asks for and press "Create App ID"
4. If you mouse over the "Facebook Login" section on your dashboard, the "Set Up" button will appear. Click it!
5. It'll take you straight to the Quickstart screen, which looks like this. That's not what we're after, so click "Settings" on the left to get back on track!
6. Fill in your app details (more info below the picture)
This is pretty straightforward.
a) The only toggles set to YES should be:
Yes - Client OAuth Login
Yes - Web OAuth Login
Yes - Use Strict Mode for Redirect URIs
b) Fill in the URL fields as follows:
Valid OAuth redirect URIs: https://theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller
Deauthorize Callback URL: https://theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller
Redirect URI Validator: https://theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller and click "Check URI".
*If you're on a custom AE Enterprise plan you'll have a custom domain. Make sure to add it in front. Eg. https://sony.theappreciationengine.com/FacebookAuthenticator_Controller
c) Click "Save Changes".
Make sure to fill in this information as much as you can including:
Also make sure to upload your App Icon and choose a category for your product.
7. Add your platform
Most of you are probably adding Facebook login to a website. So the last step is adding your website url. Click the [+ Add Platform] button and select Website.
If you have a mobile app on which you're also offering Facebook login, you'll need to go through the steps again but choose "IOS" or "Android" and fill in the relevant details.
8. Show the secret by clicking on the "Show" button near the top of the page.
9. In a new tab, log in to your AE dashboard account.
Click on "Application" from the AE header.
10. Select the Facebook icon
11. Copy your App ID and Secret into the "Key" and "Secret" fields on the AE window. Press "Activate service".
12. You can see your Facebook app is live with AE
13. High five! The first step is complete and you've built your basic Facebook app.
14. Remember that you'll need to set it live after you've done your testing.
Just go to the App Review panel and set the slider to Yes. You will automatically get approved items for email, public profile and user friends data. If you want more permissions see our help for that.