Google AdWords Campaign
Set up Google Adwords campaigns and build your audience faster using our Google Adwords platform integration. Here's how it works.
Before you start creating a Google AdWords ad campaign from within AE:
- First, create a list of members to target. Check out our Creating Your First Campaign article for more information.
- Second, get your marketing assets ready. Make sure your images and ad copy are ready to roll!
Pick Your Platform
When you use the Start Campaign button on any page, you will be asked to pick a platform for the campaign. In this case, we'll choose Google+.
The first time you start a Google AdWords ad campaign in AE, you'll be asked to log into your Google account and grant access to AE. This way, you can easily manage your ads from within the AE dashboard.
The brand that's asking for permission is your selected brand on AE. In this example, we'll use the band Wyld Stallyns.
Next, you will see the main campaign page where you can manage your ad. There is contextual help on this page to help you out if you aren't familiar with the language that Google uses to talk about ads.
There are five sections on this page:
- Campaign Info
- Ad Settings
- Ad Creative
- Ad Team
Use this section to enter in the name of your campaign. The account field should display the name of the Google account that you authorized to connect to AE.
Use this section to control the logistics of your ad:
- Enter the start and end dates of your campaign.
- Choose your daily budget for the campaign.
- Enter your max daily impressions, which sets the maximum amount of times your ad can be interacted with per day.
For targeting your ad at your members, Google provides two options:
- Limit your ad to the group of members that you've created in AE.
- Create a "similar" audience.
When you create a similar (or lookalike) audience, Google shows your ad to any users who are similar to the members on your list. This is incredibly powerful!
According to Google Internal data (2013), by using similar (or lookalike) audiences in conjunction with remarketing, advertisers typically see
- 60% more impressions
- 48% more clicks
- 41% more conversions
We suggest creating the same ad twice, targeting one ad at your list, and the other ad at a lookalike audience. This will help you reach more people like the people you already have.
To reach a lookalike audience, select the Use Lookalike Audience checkbox and select the country you want to focus on. You can only select one country at a time.
The ad creative fields sets the look and content of your ad:
- Enter the message and the call-to-action for your ad.
- Enter the caption for your image.
- Enter the link that you want to drive users to.
- Upload your image.
- Using the Promoted By field, enter the name you want users to see as the promoter. This could be your brand or your parent company.
Use the Ad Team drop-down menu to add your team. They must have an AE dashboard to be eligible. This is handy if you want someone else on your team to have access to the ad running via AE and through Google AdWords.
Once you've completed this form, press the Submit Campaign button.
Review Your Ad on Google AdWords
Log into your Adwords account and you should see your ad waiting for review. Once it's been approved, it will be up and running.